httpd-users mailing list archives

From "Joshua Slive" <jos...@slive.ca>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] mod_authn_dbd encrypted password?!
Date Wed, 28 Jun 2006 14:52:21 GMT
On 6/27/06, Chris Liles <Chris.Liles@air2web.com> wrote:
> After looking at the perl script suggested by Joshua, I see that I can use crypt(), so
I tested and it works. Of course postgres doesn't have a crypt() function :( I really want
to be able to just insert in the database like crypt('plaintext') and have postgres handle
the hashing. Is there a way in the config to change the auth module to expect a md5 hash instead
of a crypt, or even plaintext?

No.  There is an md5-based algorithm available, but it requires use of
a salt and a special apache-specific marker.  You can't just md5-has
the password.

I don't know much about postgres, but to hash passwords you're either
going to need a language that can reproduce the algorithms used by
apache (as in the examples I sent you), or you're going to need to
call an external program to generate the hashes as Nick suggests.

Joshua.