httpd-users mailing list archives

From "Joshua Slive" <jos...@slive.ca>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] remote_host / remote_addr and Apache as a Reverse Proxy
Date Wed, 28 Jun 2006 13:21:55 GMT
On 6/27/06, Richard de Vries <richard_devries@yahoo.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Is there any directive that can be set to have Apache
> as a reverse proxy report REMOTE_HOST and REMOTE_ADDR
> properly? (instead of those variables being set to the
> proxy server?)

(Third time we've seen this question in the past week or so.)

Apache sends the X-Forwarded-For header on the request to the origin
server.  If you are asking if it is possible for apache to set the
actual IP address that is seen by the origin server, then the answer
is no, this is not even theoretically possible.  The origin server
gets this information from the TCP/IP connection information, not from
anything sent by the proxy.

Joshua.