httpd-users mailing list archives

From "Joshua Slive" <jos...@slive.ca>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] Mass virtual hosting - mod_vhost_alias, mod_rewrite or mod_vhost_dbi?
Date Thu, 22 Jun 2006 18:02:35 GMT
On 6/22/06, Gallardo, Lisa <LisaG@susd12.org> wrote:
> Hi all,
> I've set up Apache 2.055 with PHP5 and MySQL5 on Windows 2003. I've got
> LDAP working to authenticate against Active Directory. Now I'm at the
> stage where I need to set up virtual hosts for possibly up to 1000
> users. I've been researching the best way to go about doing this and
> have come across the following methods/modules:
>
> mod_vhost_alias http://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.0/vhosts/mass.html
> mod_rewrite
> mod_vhost_dbi http://www.outoforder.cc/projects/apache/mod_vhost_dbi/
>
> I really want to set this up correctly from the start because I know
> that once it's up it will be difficult to make changes once the server
> is live and open for our school webmasters.
>
> What are other people using and are there any straightforward/layman
> tutorials out there for implementing these? I've been going over the
> apache.org docs but I'm still a bit lost as to the best route to take.
> How do web hosts typically set up their Apache virtual hosts?

There is no general answer to that question.

If your vhosts are going to be relatively standard and well-structured
in the file system, then mod_vhost_alias will almost certainly be the
simplest and fastest method.  mod_rewrite and mod_vhost_dbi are useful
for cases when you cannot easily map ServerNames to the filesystem in
a way supported by mod_vhost_alias.

Joshua.