httpd-users mailing list archives

From "Joshua Slive" <jos...@slive.ca>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] .htaccess pages refuse to work, AllowOverride or not
Date Tue, 13 Jun 2006 22:37:54 GMT
On 6/13/06, Jacob <fun2program8@yahoo.com> wrote:
> I've been trying to wrestle answers out of Google for two days now, but
> I finally decided that I have done enough looking to be a worthy poster
> of your newsgroup. ;)
>
> Basically, I want an authentication system where one of those nifty
> username and password dialog boxes appear and ask for a password. I know
> it isn't the most secure thing in the world, but it is at least something.
>
> I have written down the 3 changes I've made to the configuration since a
> fresh install.
>
> 1. Added these lines to the bottom of the /etc/apache2/apache2.conf
> configuration file. /var/www/ is the root directory of my website.
> <Directory "/var/www/">
>          AllowOverride AuthConfig
>          Options None
> </Directory>
> 2. Wrote this .htaccess file in /var/www/:
> AuthType Digest
> AuthName "Private"
> AuthDigestFile /var/www/.htpasswd
> Require valid-user
> 3. Ran the command sudo htdigest -c /var/www/.htpasswd <DOMAIN> jacob
> NOTE: I replaced <DOMAIN> with the address of my website minus the http
> part.
> 4. Created an empty index2.html file in /var/www/, and opened it in a
> browser.

And what happened?!?!  What exactly was the result in the browser?
What exactly is in the error and access logs?

One source of problems that you should just get rid of is the
.htaccess file itself.  Put the auth directives inside the <Directory>
section in httpd.conf.  There is no reason to use .htaccess if you
have access to httpd.conf.

Joshua.