httpd-users mailing list archives

From "Boyle Owen" <Owen.Bo...@swx.com>
Subject RE: [users@httpd] RE: Switching between HTTP and HTTPS
Date Thu, 22 Jun 2006 15:19:50 GMT

"Usually" is not accurate. In fact, if the site is well-configured, the certificate common-name
matches the domain-name and the certificate is signed by a trusted authority, there will be
no such warning. Try going to amazon.com and ordering something - no warning as you switch
from catalogue to payment page.

If you get a warning it's usually because:

- the HTTPS page contains some absolute URLs (usually images) that are HTTP (hence a mixture
warning)
- the cert is self-signed (hence an untrusted cert warning)
- the cert is out-of-date or doesn't match the domain-name

These are all typical problems on demo/amateur websites.

Rgds,
Owen Boyle

PS - to answer the question directly, no - the alerts are entirely client-side, the server
has no control over them.

> Thx, Q.Xie

> http://mail.yahoo.com

the sender's company.