httpd-users mailing list archives

From Axel-St├ęphane SMORGRAV <Axel-Stephane.SMORG...@europe.adp.com>
Subject RE: [users@httpd] Reverse Proxy between WebSphere and the WebServer - prevent "Bad Gateway" errors.
Date Wed, 28 Jun 2006 06:12:55 GMT
If it were not for the Proxy server, the user would just get a "Connection refused" or "Unable
to connect/Connection timed out" which in my opinion is no better than that HTTP 502 (Bad
Gateway). At least the proxy server gives you the option of serving a custom error page for
the HTTP 502 using the ErrorDocument directive, explaining to the user that the server is
temporarily unavailable.

Then of course, if you are using the WebSphere plugin and you have multiple WAS backends,
chances that no WAS is available at any given time should be pretty slim...

-ascs

-----Original Message-----
From: Richard de Vries [mailto:richard_devries@yahoo.com]
Sent: Wednesday, June 28, 2006 4:50 AM
To: users@httpd.apache.org
Subject: [users@httpd] Reverse Proxy between WebSphere and the WebServer - prevent "Bad Gateway"
errors.

I was wondering if anyone on this list has ever configured a WebSphere environment with a
reverse Proxy (Apache) sitting between the WebSphere App Server, and the WebServer.

Why would you want to do that you may ask? The answer is simple ... to secure the WebSphere
Application Server instance from people trying to bypass the webservers.

Basically, I have WAS listening on the 127.0.0.1 adapter of the server, and have the Proxy
Server listen on the public IP addresses. The proxy server in turn will proxy the incoming
requests from the public IP to WAS on localhost.

So far all is well. The problem comes with the WebSphere WebServer plugins. Since we're running
our WAS in a clustered environment -- the WebSphere plugin does some loadbalancing and logic
to determine what WAS instance is up. If an instance is down, it's supposed to send the request
to one of the alternate servers.

Unfortunately, with the Proxy server in the middle, the WAS plugin doesn't detect the WAS
instance as being down, because even with the WAS instance down, the proxy is accepting connections.
This then results in a "Bad Gateway" error.

Any suggestions on how to circumvent this issue?

Thank you :-)

     Richard