httpd-users mailing list archives

From Axel-St├ęphane SMORGRAV <Axel-Stephane.SMORG...@europe.adp.com>
Subject RE: [users@httpd] Invalid argument: Failed to acquire global mutex lock
Date Thu, 08 Jun 2006 14:18:50 GMT
I have had this kind of problems before, and I seem to remember I even posted a bug about it.

For your information the error message you get does come from mod_ssl:

bash-2.03$ find . -type f -name \*.c -exec grep -l 'Failed to acquire global mutex lock' {}
\;
./modules/ssl/ssl_engine_mutex.c
bash-2.03$

This problem appeared when I migrated from Apache 2.0.49 to 2.0.54. The default mutex for
my platform (Solaris) was changed somewhere thereabout.

I ended up explicitly setting AcceptMutex and SSLMutex to pthread (the previous default) and
never had this problem again. I believe using a file, fcntl or flock mutex on a shared drive
is not recommended

-ascs

-----Original Message-----
From: Steely, Bruce (Mission Systems) [mailto:Bruce.Steely@ngc.com]
Sent: Thursday, June 08, 2006 4:09 PM
To: users@httpd.apache.org
Subject: RE: [users@httpd] Invalid argument: Failed to acquire global mutex lock

Thanks for replying, Axel.

I'm familiar with the SSLMutex issue, but I doubt that it is the problem in this case.  The
system failed over to another node that uses the same configuration files (on a shared drive),
and it runs fine on the other node.  It has to be something that is particular to the orignal
node.  I think it has to do with stopping and starting Apache while the process monitor was
also attempting to start it.  I don't know how the lock is implemented, but possibly it is
trying to access the lock with an old reference that no longer exists?

Bruce