httpd-users mailing list archives

From rea...@newsguy.com
Subject [users@httpd] Password protect... no user required
Date Thu, 15 Jun 2006 14:35:24 GMT
Having looked at apache docu and literally dozens of other help pages
about this, I'm not getting how to password protect a directory but
when a browser hits the index.html only a password is required.... not
a username.

What doesn't appear to be explained is how to get around the incoming
browser user having to know a username and it is a real username on
server.

There is some discussion of setting your own usernames but still it
would seem to require an incoming browser to supply both a username
and a password.

So, is it something that can be done on a remote account where I don't
own root?