httpd-users mailing list archives

From Forrest Aldrich <for...@forrie.com>
Subject [users@httpd] Caching large amounts of small images... the best way?
Date Mon, 26 Jun 2006 16:19:27 GMT
We are developing a new infrastructure that will serve up images
directly from a database.

In front of this process, we would like to place a cache of the most
frequently accessed images.  This would serve to reduce the load on the
database image server.

The images are small (under 200k).

My question is what is the most effective way to do this (without a
commercial cache solution like akamai).

Some thoughts:  some apache proxying tricks, squid, or a lightweight
daemon that's dedicated to caching.

Along those thought lines are the underlying filesystem, etc.

Any pointers would be appreciated, thank you.