httpd-users mailing list archives

From Jesse Ross <jr...@broad.mit.edu>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] How to deny access based on user agent - help
Date Fri, 23 Jun 2006 19:30:00 GMT
Ellison , John P wrote:
> </lurk>
> Ok, sorry to drag this out, but I've got to ask... So, this spammer
> happens to be using an old OS/browser, so blocking the traffic based on
> browser works well.  The spammer could just as easily be using the
> lastest version of IE on XP.  What's the real solution here?  I guess
> the application should be doing some kind of filtering of the input
> data, right?  How is the issue generally handled in the industry?  I
> mean, there are a bunch of comment, customer service, type of pages on
> websites.  Even blogs that allow content updates for webpages.  Is
> spamming just a risk that you take when allowing web users to post data,
> or is there software/filtering that is usually done?
>
> Thanks,
> JP
> <lurk>

Hi JP,

There's no real solution, I'd say.  If you allow users to post content,
it takes a human to tell whether it's any good.  With that said, there
is a lot you can do to filter obvious spam out, and various products
deal with the problem in different ways.  For just one example, check
out some of the stuff people are doing with wordpress:
http://codex.wordpress.org/Combating_Comment_Spam

Regards,
Jesse Ross