httpd-users mailing list archives

From Andy Buckley <Andy.Buck...@durham.ac.uk>
Subject [users@httpd] Using SetOutputFilter in Location blocks
Date Tue, 20 Jun 2006 13:11:00 GMT

Hi,

I have a long-standing problem with getting output filters to work in Location
blocks. Here's an example configuration:

<VirtualHost 129.234.186.122:80>
     ServerName dev.cedar.ac.uk
     [and so on...]

     ExtFilterDefine hepforge-wrapper mode=output intype=text/html \
       outtype=text/html cmd=/cedar/testlocal/cgi-bin/hepforge-web-wrapper

     ## ReStructuredText
     AddType text/html .rst
     Action rst-handler /cgi-bin/rst-filter
     AddHandler rst-handler .rst

     ## CGI bin
     ScriptAlias /cgi-bin/ /cedar/testlocal/cgi-bin/

     <Location /testhf >
         SetOutputFilter hepforge-wrapper
     </Location>

</VirtualHost>

I would expect that this Location block would apply the "hepforge-filter"
output filter to any HTML encountered at http://dev.cedar.ac.uk/testhf, but it
doesn't work. However, a .rst document at http://dev.cedar.ac.uk/testhf/rsttest
(I'm using multiviews, hence the AddType for .rst) *will* get passed through
the filter succesfully if I add this:

     <Location /cgi-bin >
         SetOutputFilter hepforge-wrapper
     </Location>

(You can check this behaviour at these addresses: they're real URLs.)

Finally, I can make the http://dev.cedar.ac.uk/testhf area get filtered if I
add a Directory section instead of a Location:

     <Directory /www/dev/testhf >
         SetOutputFilter hepforge-wrapper
     </Directory>

It's my understanding that Location and Directory sections should be
semantically the same from the point of view of filters: I can't see why this
configuration doesn't work. I can't just use Directory sections since, for
example, some bits of the site are generated by CGI scripts outside the
DocumentRoot.

Is this a bug or am I just attempting to do something odd? :)

Cheers,
Andy

--
Dr Andy Buckley: CEDAR @ IPPP, Durham