httpd-users mailing list archives

From Robert Ionescu <robsie...@googlemail.com>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] rewrite rule
Date Tue, 06 Jun 2006 17:17:00 GMT
Axel-St├ęphane SMORGRAV wrote:
>  Could you give some explanations wrt. your RewriteCond ? I have never seen this kind
of expressions before.

Yes. \1 is a regEx internal back reference containing everything matched
in the first group (/test/.+)

So assuming a request of /test/index.html (=value of $1) from
http://example.com/test/index.html (referer), the TestString
(left) is
http://example.com/test/index.html<>/test/index.html

The regEx '(/test/.+)<' would match '/test/index.html<' and capture the
part '/test/index.html' in a back reference. Now the pattern matches the
 > from the TestString followed by the value of the first back reference
from within that regEx, which is '/test/index.html'.

So http://example.com/test/index.html<>/test/index.html (testString)
would match against the pattern /test/index.html<>/test/index.html, the
RegEx-Engine returns true. The result is now negated in mod_rewrite by
the exclamation mark resulting in false which would abort this RewriteRule.

--
Robert