httpd-users mailing list archives

From "William A. Rowe, Jr." <wr...@rowe-clan.net>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] httpd authentication
Date Thu, 01 Jun 2006 22:45:22 GMT
Apache MD5 hashes are refolded in such a way that they are expected but not
proven to be less breakable than a straight MD5 hash, and most certainly
expected to be less reducable than direct MD5 collision prediction.

However, a straight (not refolded) flavor of SHA1 is also available and you
would be encouraged to use either.

Keep in mind any method is weak to a dictionary attack using weak passwords.
And the hash attacks are only a concern if you don't take any effort to
protect the contents of your .htpasswd file, by keeping out of the htdocs/
tree, etc.