httpd-users mailing list archives

From "Ahn, Chang" <a...@staff.abanet.org>
Subject [users@httpd] How to enable modification date for SSI files
Date Thu, 22 Jun 2006 19:12:04 GMT

I'm using SSI for most of my site and just noticed that the response
header isn't sending the file's last modified date.   In Apache
configuration, can you configure Apache to send the requested SSI file's
last modified date in the HTTP header without resorting to XBitHack or
code modification?

I know I can use XBitHack full; however, I have to turn the group
execute bit on (which my security office won't like).  And because of
the way our CMS is setup, it's difficult to discriminately turn on the
execute bit for specific file types.   And I rather not have to add SSI
code into each file, but that would be a very extensive code
modification (we have several thousand files).

I've read the mod_expires may offer a method. I've gotten it to work...
sort of.

This works, but it uses access time as the modified date.
  <IfModule mod_expires.c>
   ExpiresActive on
   ExpiresDefault "access plus 1 days"
  </IfModule>

When I change to modification, it still returns the access time as the
modified date.  Am I going down the wrong path or is this configuration
wrong?

  <IfModule mod_expires.c>
   ExpiresActive on
   ExpiresDefault "modification plus 1 days"
  </IfModule>

I may have to use XBitHack but I want to investigate possible
alternatives first.