httpd-users mailing list archives

From Charles Plater <ab3...@wayne.edu>
Subject [users@httpd] Apache 1.3.36 / Solaris 9 / Too Many Open Files
Date Wed, 21 Jun 2006 19:28:09 GMT
We have a webserver running Apache 1.3.36 on Solaris 9. If I try to
add more than 81 VHOSTS all of the vhosts start throwing errors:

[Wed Jun 21 12:29:31 2006] [crit] [client <REMOVED>] (24)Too many
open files: /path/to/www/content/.htaccess pcfg_openfile: unable to
check htaccess file, ensure it is readable

I've set rlim_rd_cur to 8192 in /etc/system (and rebooted), and re-
compiled apache with EXTRA_CFLAGS=-DHIGH_SLACK_LINE=256 all to no
avail. The data directories, configuration files, and log files are
all stored on an NFS filesystem (although, I'm pretty sure NFS isn't
the culprit here.)

Any help our suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
--
Charles Plater
Lead Application Technical Analyst