httpd-users mailing list archives

From Jaqui Greenlees <jaqui_greenl...@yahoo.ca>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] How to deny access based on user agent - help
Date Sat, 24 Jun 2006 10:31:55 GMT

--- Viktoras Didziulis <viktoras@ekoinf.net> wrote:
~snip~

> And it would be a loss disabling Javascript ;-) on
> many websites, including
> Google maps, scientific online apps and others...

funny, I actually have not had javascript enabled for
a long time, and don't miss it. :)
No flash either.
actually 75 to 80 % of my online time is with lynx or
links, so images don't get displayed either.

> Unless user is able to
> automatically enable it selectively for trusted
> sites without messing with
> browser settings each time. In fact I haven't seen
> any user/machine obeying
> this recommendation.

Last time I looked at Netscape, I think I saw the
ability to allow based on site.
You are right, most people don't pay attention to
security and follow recommendations, my response to
them when they have a problem:
You should have implemented the recommendations for
security, because you didn't, this problem is 100%
your fault.

> Then the only safe way (I have been using this for a
> long time on my
> personal site) is displaying e-mail address as
> image. But then users would
> have enter it manually. Well, if one really needs to
> contact me he would
> probably spend a few seconds of writing.

The only issue with this, very effective method, is
those broswers that do not support images. Not a huge
number of people, but they are out there.

Jaqui