httpd-users mailing list archives

From "Joshua Slive" <jos...@slive.ca>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] Running vhosts with php and virtual users
Date Mon, 29 May 2006 20:47:01 GMT
On 5/29/06, Mattias Segerdahl <mattias.segerdahl@bitcom.se> wrote:
> I'm experiencing difficulties using apache in the following environment. Is
> there any good solution that would solve the security problems?
>
> Server version: Apache/2.2.2
> Server built:   May 14 2006 18:14:53
> PHP 5.1.4 (cli) (built: May  5 2006 19:14:55)
>
> Virtual users are stored under /home/web/domain.tld/username where users
> have access to their directory using a ftpd with virtual accounts. All files
> and directories are owned by a single system uid/gid.
>
> Now, using this setup, users can access files and directories outside their
> own home using php, this is something that I really need to prevent. I'd
> like to chroot/jail them to their own directory. I could run a config parser
> and set up <Directory> settings for each users having php_admin_value set
> for open_basedir. But that seems to be a bit much.
>
> Is there any other way to approach this problem?

There is no simple answer to this problem.  If you trust open_basedir,
then that is the easiest solution.  Otherwise, the solutions involve
running php as a cgi script under suexec or similar program, or
running multiple apache instances with a proxy in front to dispatch to
the correct instance.

Joshua.