httpd-users mailing list archives

From "Joshua Slive" <jos...@slive.ca>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] Turning Directory Browsing Off
Date Tue, 16 May 2006 16:51:52 GMT
On 5/16/06, Mark McCulligh <mmcculli@visualtech.ca> wrote:
> Joshua Slive wrote:
>
> > On 5/16/06, Mark McCulligh <mmcculli@visualtech.ca> wrote:
> >
> >> Hi Group,
> >>
> >> How do you turn Directory Browsing off.  For when a user hits a folder
> >> without an document index page it doesn't let them browse the websites's
> >> files.
> >

> > Find the "Options" directive that applies to that directory and remove
> > its "Indexes" option or add "Options -Indexes" to a <Directory>
> > section applying to that directory.
> >
> > Joshua.
>
> Just double checking, change my directory from:
> <Directory "/www">
>   Options Indexes FollowSyncLinks
>   AllowOverride None
>   Order Allow, deny
>   Allow from all
> </Directory>
>
> to:
> <Directory "/www">
>   Options -Indexes +FollowSyncLinks
>   AllowOverride None
>   Order Allow, deny
>   Allow from all
> </Directory>

That looks like a garbage config.  <Directory> refers to file-system
directories, like /usr/local/apache2/htdocs, not web directories.
There is no FollowSyncLinks.  And there is no need to add the +/-.
Just remove the option you don't want (Indexes).  The +/- is only
necessary if you want to merge the options with the options setting
for a parent directory.

Joshua.