httpd-users mailing list archives

From <..@thefirm.biz>
Subject [users@httpd] [error] (9)Bad file descriptor: apr_socket_accept: (client socket)
Date Fri, 19 May 2006 21:32:35 GMT
I've spent hours googling and asked about this error message on a PHP list and was directed
here.

Every time I gracefully restart Apache 2.2.2, the error log reports:

[Thu May 18 19:59:29 2006] [notice] Graceful restart requested, doing restart
[Thu May 18 19:59:29 2006] [error] (9)Bad file descriptor: apr_socket_accept: (client socket)
[Thu May 18 19:59:30 2006] [notice] Apache configured -- resuming normal operations
[Thu May 18 19:59:30 2006] [warn] long lost child came home! (pid 2881)

On rare occasion, Apache 2.2.2 is crashing with:
[Fri May 19 17:29:05 2006] [notice] child pid 11243 exit signal Segmentation fault (11)
(Long list, all the child pids different of course.)

I've searched the bug list and found nothing for apr_socket_accept. From googling, I've found
messages about errors with apr_socket_accept in very old versions of Apache, but none seemed
helpful.

Since I see "client socket", it certainly sounds like it's an interaction with something else
that's causing the problem, but I don't know how to determine what that something else is.
I could include my strace, but it's long and I'm not a progammer so I can't really get anywhere
with it.

I get the same error even if I take out the only external module I use (PHP5.1.4). I've tried
using a totally stripped-down version of httpd.conf as well, with the same results. I've tried
building Apache without some of the standard modules, with the same results. (The list of
modules is below.)

It seems possibly related to my operating/build environment:
    gcc version 3.3.5 (Debian 1:3.3.5-13)
    ReiserFS on (software) RAID-1
    Linux version 2.6.8-11-amd64-generic
    Debian Stable

dmesg reports no file system errors. I did reboot the system once, and ReiserFS reported no
problems. The only thing left that I can think of is to bring down the server and run reiserfsck.
It's a production server, so I very much dislike doing it unless someone believes that this
error points towards the file system.

Any suggestions appreciated.

Thank you,

Jeff Hill