httpd-users mailing list archives

From "Brian Rectanus" <brect...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] trying to make so-called generic apache work with oracle app server 10.1.3's oc4j
Date Wed, 31 May 2006 14:21:25 GMT
> On Wednesday 31 May 2006 09:25, Imre Oolberg wrote:
> > Dear people,
> >
> > I have an assignment to deploy Oracle Application Server 10.1.3's OC4J
> > component behind Generic Apache v. 2.0.x webserver
>
> Why 2.0?
>
> Upgrade to 2.2 and it supports oracle directly through DBD.
> Or of course use oracle's product.
>
> Running 2.0 looks like the worst of both worlds.
>
> > mod_oc4j.so: undefined symbol: onsint_hook_ons_ready_handler
>
> That looks like a hook (though it could also be some oracle programmer
> who doesn't understand hooks but thought (s)he was using apache
> conventions).  A hook may be exported by the core or by another
> module.  In general terms (as a matter of good practice), any hook
> that isn't from the core should be implemented as an optional hook,
> so it doesn't cause missing dependencies.
>
> That hook is probably implemented by another oracle module that's
> included in their proprietary apache version.  If you can identify that
> module (e.g. with nm), then load it before the one that's generating
> the error.  That'll be possible if and only if you have the module as
> a .so (or .dll if on windoze).
>
> > PS I instist using in a presentation layer generic apache instead of
> > Oracle's own version on Apache because we prefere to remain in that
> > layer not too tighty bound to a specific vendor.
>
> Heh.  Debian's apache is horrible, too.
>
> --
> Nick Kew

I'll agree w/Nick and say that it is probably not a good idea unless
you are required to use 2.0 for some other purpose.  I am sure you
will run into Oracle support issues on this.  I can already see the
'Yes, our docs say it *can* be done, but we do not support it' line
from Oracle just waiting to happen ;)

Instead, I would (and do) use a reverse proxy Apache setup for the
OC4J stuff.  You get the benefit of your favorite Apache version and
can use mod_ssl instead of Oracle's mod_ossl (owm, cringe).  You can
also run the reverse proxy on a separate machine.  Also, if you add
something like this to the reverse proxy setup, you can make Apache
appear like Oracle WebCache reverse proxy and it will help:

In Apache Reverse Proxy
:
### Add Oracle WebCache Headers
# * Allows 'UseWebCacheIp On' to work
# * Allows more 'intelligent' backend
#   handling of SSL requests
RequestHeader unset ClientIP
RequestHeader unset SSL-Https
RequestHeader append ClientIP "%{REMOTE_ADDR}s"
RequestHeader append SSL-Https "on" env=HTTPS
RequestHeader append SSL-Https "off" env=!HTTPS

In Oracle's Apache httpd.conf:
Include /your/path/to/local.conf

And in local.conf:
### Use the correct IP
UseWebCacheIp On
### Simulate SSL (if SSL always used)
LoadModule certheaders_module libexec/mod_certheaders.so
AddCertHeader HTTPS
SimulateHttps on

WARNING: If you enable UseWebCacheIp, make sure no users can bypass
the reverse proxy, or they can fake their IP!!

However, if you must replace 10gAS Apache, check the following:

1) Make sure these are set on apache startup:
    export ORACLE_HOME=/your/path/to/OH
    export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=$ORACLE_HOME/lib:$ORACLE_HOME/Apache/any/others

That symbol not found error is due to LD_LIBRARY_PATH not being
inclusive of the required Oracle libs.  I don't have a 10.1.3 install
available at the moment, but it is probably:

  libdms2.so
  libdms2.so

in the $ORACLE_HOME/lib dir.

This will tell you what libs are required and then include the paths
in LD_LIBRARY_PATH:

  ldd /path/to/mod_oc4j.so

2) Use the full path to the Oracle modules in your apache config
instead of copying them.

3) Consider using mod_onsint as well as mod_oc4j

Good Luck,
-B