httpd-users mailing list archives

From "Brian Rectanus" <brect...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] separate logs for aliases
Date Fri, 26 May 2006 04:00:24 GMT
On 5/25/06, Bill Angus <mdangus@psychtest.com> wrote:

> You can use one IP and have a secure-server as well as a name-based virtual
> hosting server for port 80. Just run two instances of Apache. The apache
> monitor is capable of reporting and controlling both.
>
> You are right that using name-based hosting on port 80 will cause the
> SSL-port server to crap out completely. That's why I suggest you start
> another server.

Not sure I follow you here.  This works fine:

NameVirtualHost *:80
Listen 80
<VirtualHost *:80>
ServerName foo
</VirtualHost>
<VirtualHost *:80>
ServerName bar
</VirtualHost>

Listen 443
<VirtualHost *:443>
ServerName foo
</VirtualHost>

> I set mine up using a single domain. When I got an inexpensive cert, I
> specified the secure site as secure.my_domain.com

Why?  This just confuses users and is unneeded.  non-ssl is port 80,
ssl is port 443.  These can easily be two separate vhosts and you can
use the same servername.

> The regular http on port 80 still works fine with two different name-based
> virtual hosts www.my_domain.com  and  www.my_other_domain.com
>
> With this you also get the option of completely separate configurations --
> and so of course you may have separate logs.

You get that with vhosts as well.  You can even put them in separate
files and Include if you want.