httpd-users mailing list archives

From "Brian Rectanus" <brect...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] [error] (9)Bad file descriptor: apr_socket_accept: (client socket)
Date Sat, 20 May 2006 03:31:13 GMT
I noticed this the other day.  It happens whenever you stop the
service as well.  I have not dug any deeper into it, though.

I am on RedHat AS3 and Apache 2.2.2.

-B

On 5/19/06, jh@thefirm.biz <jh@thefirm.biz> wrote:
> I've spent hours googling and asked about this error message on a PHP list and was directed
here.

> Every time I gracefully restart Apache 2.2.2, the error log reports:
>
> [Thu May 18 19:59:29 2006] [notice] Graceful restart requested, doing restart
> [Thu May 18 19:59:29 2006] [error] (9)Bad file descriptor: apr_socket_accept: (client
socket)
> [Thu May 18 19:59:30 2006] [notice] Apache configured -- resuming normal operations
> [Thu May 18 19:59:30 2006] [warn] long lost child came home! (pid 2881)
>
> On rare occasion, Apache 2.2.2 is crashing with:
> [Fri May 19 17:29:05 2006] [notice] child pid 11243 exit signal Segmentation fault (11)
> (Long list, all the child pids different of course.)
>
> I've searched the bug list and found nothing for apr_socket_accept. From googling, I've
found messages about errors with apr_socket_accept in very old versions of Apache, but none
seemed helpful.

> Since I see "client socket", it certainly sounds like it's an interaction with something
else that's causing the problem, but I don't know how to determine what that something else
is. I could include my strace, but it's long and I'm not a progammer so I can't really get
anywhere with it.

> I get the same error even if I take out the only external module I use (PHP5.1.4). I've
tried using a totally stripped-down version of httpd.conf as well, with the same results.
I've tried building Apache without some of the standard modules, with the same results. (The
list of modules is below.)

> It seems possibly related to my operating/build environment:
>     gcc version 3.3.5 (Debian 1:3.3.5-13)
>     ReiserFS on (software) RAID-1
>     Linux version 2.6.8-11-amd64-generic
>     Debian Stable
>
> dmesg reports no file system errors. I did reboot the system once, and ReiserFS reported
no problems. The only thing left that I can think of is to bring down the server and run reiserfsck.
It's a production server, so I very much dislike doing it unless someone believes that this
error points towards the file system.