httpd-users mailing list archives

From Rex Brooks <r...@starbourne.com>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] SSL Problem Still not Solved in Apache2-RHEL4
Date Tue, 16 May 2006 14:02:39 GMT
Thanks Bill,

Sounds like a plan. Did not know about octal.  As for SSL being at
fault, I based that only on the error message and the fact that
removing mod_ssl allows httpd to start. The fact that it starts but
won't accept connections seems signficant, and it seems like the
VirtualHost settings in httpd.config and ssl.conf might be another
set of tests to consider. However, one thing at a time.

Thanks again,
Rex

At 9:45 AM -0400 5/16/06, Bill Jones wrote:
>On 5/16/06, Rex Brooks <rexb@starbourne.com> wrote:
>

>>openssl rsa -in server.key.orig -out server.key
>
>OK; sorry.
>
>>also the chmod 0400 should be chmod 400, but neither of those
>
>It's octal so 0400 is correct but 400 and 0400 are the same  =)
>
>>impacted the results: The passphrase was removed but httpd still
>>failed to start.
>
>Theres another issue then with possibly one of the other modules you
>want to run...  Can you try to start with both or either disabled to
>see if SSL comes up?
>
>>We KNOW mod_ssl is at fault here, since, beyond the error message,
>
>Are we so sure that when all else fails ssl is at fault?  =)
>
>>httpd starts when mod_ssl is removed. We also know that when it is
>>removed the VirtualHosts won't accept connections. AND, it appears
>>that the PassPhrase is not responsible. (Note, I said, appears, since
>>I am wondering if I actually need to be logged in as my user and then
>>become root, instead of being logged in as root, which I have been?)
>
>Logged in as root is required to 'start' apache  -- what ID does it run as?
>
>>Regardless, there ought to be a process of elimination which will
>>isolate the culprit in here somewhere.
>
>I would try it with SSl only as see if it works, then slowly add each
>additional requirement to see what breaks, etc.
>
>--
>WC (Bill) Jones -- http://youve-reached-the.endoftheinternet.org/

Rex Brooks
President, CEO