httpd-users mailing list archives

From Zoltan HERPAI <wigy...@2p.hu>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] Many logs or one?
Date Wed, 31 May 2006 17:28:50 GMT
Hi Mike,

Well, the above LAMP configuration is way under this, built from
dust-covered parts picked out from the trash, and it's hard to find 2 gig
memory in the trash... :)

About the main question, having 250 different logfiles is not a number
that a usual webserver would cry about, even if it has to write 4-5
entries per sec into each of them. However, if you have all these entries
in one file, it would take much extra time to split them, analyze them,
update the scripts that does the job, etc... I'm too comfortable to do
this, this would not be an option, even if I had 2000 vhosts.

Apart from certain usage - like MP3 or video streaming on a 100 or
1000Mbps line -, the bottleneck is not the disk subsystem, but the CPU is,
the average load of 2 also shows this. Using a RAID1 array also decreases
stress on the disks, the 4.5% iowait avg is not an issue - and logging
into different logfiles does not increase this at all. You should rather
look for a faster CPU, because every other part of your box seems to be
fine - at least from my point of view.

Regards,
Zoltan HERPAI