httpd-users mailing list archives

From "Boyle Owen" <Owen.Bo...@swx.com>
Subject RE: [users@httpd] Re: Re: ASP on Apache
Date Fri, 05 May 2006 09:19:10 GMT

I think the OP might be under the impression that "ASP" is an unambiguous term so, just to
clear up a possible terminology misunderstanding:

ASP = Active Server Pages. Originally developed by Microsoft, a technology that allowed you
to put dynamic content (written in VBScript) into a web-page. The dynamic content could only
be parsed by an ASP interpreter that was an add-on to the MS IIS webserver. This was an entirely
proprietary & commercial package that could only work on MS.

However.... For some odd reason, MS didn't patent or protect the term (maybe it is too generic)
so now ASP is used to define several technologies that allow dynamic content: Apache:ASP is
possibly the most extreme since it uses Perl as the scripting language and Apache as the webserver
and so the only thing it has in common with MS-ASP is the three letter acronymn.

To sum up; "ASP" means a different thing to different people and so if you ask "can I use
ASP with apache?" you'll get the answer "Yes" or "No" depending on who you ask. And both will
be correct... :-)

Rgds,
Owen Boyle

the sender's company.