httpd-users mailing list archives

From "Michael Elias" <mel...@nysun.com>
Subject [users@httpd] Log File Name
Date Tue, 16 May 2006 01:45:40 GMT
Hi all -

I have a webfarm using a common httpd.conf for four machines connected
to a SAN. I would like to find a way to name the logfiles with the
hostname to identify what machine they came from.

I tried passing a shell variable like below;
CustomLog    "| /usr/sbin/rotatelogs /var/log/httpd/$HOSTNAME.%Y%m%d
86400" combined

CustomLog    "| /usr/sbin/rotatelogs /var/log/httpd/%V.%Y%m%d 86400"
combined

but it didn't work,. I get the literal not the variable.

The reason is I am using webtrends to for log analysis and they can't
have the same logfile name. When I upload them they are overwriting each
other because they have the same name.

Thanks for any help

Michael