httpd-users mailing list archives

From Axel-St├ęphane SMORGRAV <Axel-Stephane.SMORG...@europe.adp.com>
Subject RE: [users@httpd] Proxy errors
Date Fri, 12 May 2006 09:27:56 GMT
The error you are referring to is generated during the processing of the backend server response.
It may be due to the backend server closing the connection, or the connection timing out.

The timeout is 5 minutes by default, so unless the request really takes that long to process,
I think it is more likely that this is due to the remote server having closed the connection.

The timeout value can be changed. ProxyTimeout surely applies, but you may also have to change
Timeout.

-ascs

-----Original Message-----
From: Matthew Claridge [mailto:mclaridge@rwa-net.co.uk]
Sent: Thursday, May 11, 2006 1:55 PM
To: users@httpd.apache.org
Subject: [users@httpd] Proxy errors

Hi,

I'm seeing the following in my apache error log:

proxy: Error reading from remote server

But I'm having trouble tying it up to a request in the access log and also having problem
diagnosing the exact fault. Can I therefore ask a few questions?

1. We use mod_proxy as part of a whole pile of URL rewriting we do. I
*think* the proxy is timing out during the rewriting process, possibly because Apache gets
busy. We also limit the bandwidth on this site so that might be causing the timeout. Does
this seem a reasonable explanation? Or does anyone else have any other ideas?

2. Another possibility is that a lot of our pages make http requests to external services
behind the scenes, before returning to the user. If these external services fail to respond,
this may also cause the proxy timeout. Comments?

3. I have ProxyErrorOverride turned on, but does this error have an associated HTTP 1.1 status
code that I can trap and then give a better error? I don't see anything in the access logs,
but that might be because its trapped inside mod_rewrite.

4. When this error occurs, it doesn't seem to be either <Timeout> or <ProxyTimeout>
after the request is made. My understanding is that this error occurs because the proxy times
out, but which timeout value is it supposed to use?

cheers
Matt
--
Matthew Claridge