httpd-users mailing list archives

From "Krist van Besien" <krist.vanbes...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] Redirect Problem
Date Thu, 04 May 2006 08:40:43 GMT
On 5/3/06, Stuart, Ed <Ed.Stuart@austinenergy.com> wrote:

> We're running Apache 2.0.46 on Red Hat kernel 2.4.  We're trying to shorten
> the URL our clients have to use to connect to an application.  We have three
> environments; development, test, and production. Our approach is to create a
> DNS entry in the format of environment.appname.domain and have it resolve to
> environment.webserver.domain and when they arrive look at what application
> they are seeking and redirect them to environment.webserver.domain/appname.
> We've got this working with the DNS as described and the following entry in
> the httpd.conf file.
>
> <VirtualHost *>
> ServerName test.appname.domain
> ServerAlias *
> Redirect permanent / https://testweb.domain/appname </VirtualHost>
>
> Our problem is that if clients mistakenly enter https://test.appname.domain
> instead of http://test.appname.domain they are directed to the default page
> of https://testweb.domain which is the index.html file.
>
> How can we fix this, and is there a better way to solve the original
> problem?

(repost, aparently some keypresses are interpreted by gmail as hotkey
and caused a prematures send)

Probably https requests are not processed by te virtual server you
described above. Have a look at the ssl config. Also it is not
possible to have namevirtual hosts under ssl, so all ssl requests will
go to the same virtual host (probably the first)

a command that might give you some hints as to what gets processed by
which part of the config is:
httpd -S -DSSL

You could do what you are trying above with a rewrite. This would save
you having to add virtual hosts for every app.

For example:

RewriteCond         %{HTTP_HOST}           ^(dev|test|prod)\.(.*)\.domain$
RewriteRule          (.*)
https://%1web.domain/%2/$1 [R,L]

(Disclaimer: This is of the top of my head, I haven't tested it.)

Krist

--
krist.vanbesien@gmail.com
Solothurn, Switzerland