httpd-users mailing list archives

From "Neil A. Hillard" <hilla...@whl.co.uk>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] pdf problems?
Date Tue, 30 May 2006 12:36:47 GMT
Hi,

Bill Jones wrote:
> On 5/29/06, Bill Angus <mdangus@psychtest.com> wrote:
>
>> After upgrading to WIN32 APACHE 2.0.58 (binaries courtesy of Hunter's
>> site -
>> !! THANKS HUNTER !! )..... we had a customer note that .PDF files on our
>> site cannot be displayed in their IE browser. We discovered that if we
>> turn
>> off MOD_DEFLATE, PDF's can be opened again. The eviro is Win2k.
>
> I have seen similar PDF and Flash issues when installing a new Apache
> server on a new box.  Did you install the Apache software to a new
> server or is this install using the exact same PDF data directories?
>
> I ask because if you copied the files between servers how do you know
> they are binary identical?  In my case the files were about 5 bytes
> out of sync -- not enough to break them but just enough so that other
> "issues" came up making the whole mess hard to troubleshoot.

This is more than likely a browser problem.  The following comment
appears in mod_deflate.c:

/* Some browsers might have problems with content types
 * other than text/html, so set gzip-only-text/html
 * (with browsermatch) for them
 */

and see:

http://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.0/mod/mod_deflate.html.en#enable

for how to resolve it.

HTH,

				Neil.

--
Neil Hillard                    hillardn@whl.co.uk
Westland Helicopters Ltd.       http://www.whl.co.uk/

Disclaimer: This message does not necessarily reflect the
            views of Westland Helicopters Ltd.