httpd-users mailing list archives

From Dan Trainor <...@v2web.com>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] LocalHost
Date Fri, 26 May 2006 19:07:52 GMT
Calpro wrote:

> Hi
>
> I have recently downloaded and installed version 2.2 Apache, and after
> adjusting the Listen port, it seems to be running Ok.
>
> That is, it displays no error messages. But when I enter LocalHost into
> MSIE I get the *404,  File not found*.
>
> LocalHost was entered into Network Domain and Server Name during
> installation.
>

> Can anyone see how I can get this working?
>

> I have used the msi installer, into Windows XP, and I’ve used Repair,
> Re-install, downloaded a new copy and installed again, always with the
> same result.
>
> I could find nothing in the FAQs, no errors in the logs, and have
> followed the installation procedures in the 3 books I have here, but I
> have clearly missed
> something
>

> I you are able to help, I’ll be most appreciative.
>

> Thanks,
>
> Ted.

Hi -

If you're seeing a 404 error, this means that the server is responding
properly.  Please take Evan's advice, and read up a bit on DocumentRoot:

http://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.2/mod/core.html#documentroot

Your server is working.  Rather than firing out suggestions blindly to
your question, as the answers differ for being site-specific, if you
read that bit of documentation right there you should be well on your way.

Thanks!
-dant