httpd-users mailing list archives

From Ian Brandt <...@ianbrandt.com>
Subject [users@httpd] mod_rewrite: RewriteRule to strip index.html?
Date Sun, 21 May 2006 21:40:20 GMT

Hi,

I'm trying to strip 'index.html' from incoming URLs with mod_rewrite.
 My current RewriteRule incarnation is:

RewriteRule ^(.*)/index\.html$ $1/

However, watching my RewriteLog I see (stripped down and paraphrased
for clarity):

(3) add path info postfix: /document/root/foo ->
/document/root/foo/index.html
(3) strip per-dir prefix: /document/root/foo/index.html -> foo/index.html
(3) applying pattern '^(.*)/index\.html$' to uri 'foo/index.html'
(2) rewrite foo/index.html -> foo/
(3) add per-dir prefix: foo/ -> /document/root/foo/
(3) add path info postfix: /document/root/foo/ ->
/document/root/foo//index.html
(3) strip per-dir prefix: /document/root/foo//index.html ->
foo//index.html
[...]

Looked good, until the "add path info postfix" part.  Any way to
prevent that?  I've RTFM, and searched this list and elsewhere, but
have come up empty.

Thanks!

Ian

P.S. For the curious or perplexed... What I'm trying to do is migrate
an existing site to WordPress.  It dynamically generates further
rewrite rules, such that my old "foo/index.html", rewritten by me to
"foo/", would be further rewritten by WordPress to
"index.php?page=foo", which is where the migrated content now resides.
 Of course with the "path info postfix" of "index.html" added back on
WordPress' rules never match.  I can't change WordPress' rules without
hacking the code, which is presumably the long way around.