httpd-users mailing list archives

From Matthew Claridge <mclari...@rwa-net.co.uk>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] Proxy errors
Date Fri, 12 May 2006 15:37:30 GMT
Thats what i thought, but I don't see any 502 errors in the access log
and my ErrorDocument handler doesn't catch it....

Matt

on 12/05/2006 15:58 Axel-St├ęphane SMORGRAV said the following:

>As far as I can tell from the code it should return HTTP_BAD_GATEWAY, i.e. HTTP 502. You
can use the ErrorDocument directive to specify a HTML page to return to the client in case
the error occurs.

>-ascs

response. It may be due to the backend server closing the connection, or the connection timing
out.

>>The timeout is 5 minutes by default, so unless the request really takes that long
to process, I think it is more likely that this is due to the remote server having closed
the connection.

>>The timeout value can be changed. ProxyTimeout surely applies, but you may also have
to change Timeout.

>>-ascs

problem diagnosing the exact fault. Can I therefore ask a few questions?

>>1. We use mod_proxy as part of a whole pile of URL rewriting we do. I
>>*think* the proxy is timing out during the rewriting process, possibly because Apache
gets busy. We also limit the bandwidth on this site so that might be causing the timeout.
Does this seem a reasonable explanation? Or does anyone else have any other ideas?

>>2. Another possibility is that a lot of our pages make http requests to external services
behind the scenes, before returning to the user. If these external services fail to respond,
this may also cause the proxy timeout. Comments?

>>3. I have ProxyErrorOverride turned on, but does this error have an associated HTTP
1.1 status code that I can trap and then give a better error? I don't see anything in the
access logs, but that might be because its trapped inside mod_rewrite.

>>4. When this error occurs, it doesn't seem to be either <Timeout> or <ProxyTimeout>
after the request is made. My understanding is that this error occurs because the proxy times
out, but which timeout value is it supposed to use?