httpd-users mailing list archives

From John Hicks <johnl...@gulfbridge.net>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] Apache Mode_rewrite query : Newbie question
Date Tue, 09 May 2006 18:53:22 GMT
Rajat Sharma wrote:
> Creating of configuration such as below is fine. But....Is above to be put in httpd.conf
or .httpaccess or in completely new file....mod_rewrite.conf....

> ////////////////////////////////////
> RewriteEngine  on
> RewriteBase    /~quux/
> RewriteRule    ^foo$  foo/  [R]
>
> The above info. is what's missing on the page sent below.

I started to reply with the standard "RTFM" but when I checked, I saw
that the manual doesn't really make this clear, so:

All of the Apache directives go in httpd.conf

Many of them can also go in .htaccess (not .httpaccess) when they apply
to a single directory (the directory where you place the .htaccess file).

I believe the rewrite rules best go in the main httpd.conf file.

Good luck.

--J