httpd-users mailing list archives

From "Bill Jones" <tetragondz...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] safe .htaccess permissions
Date Sat, 20 May 2006 10:14:13 GMT
On 5/20/06, mantasman <mantasman.net@gmail.com> wrote:
> hi, i'm setting up a shared www server under debian with apache2.0 . In
> order to make it secure, i use suExec and all users' files are chmoded
> to 770. but i must keep .htaccess and passwords files chmoded as 774.
> otherwise, apache gives forbidden error and logs say:
>
> pcfg_openfile: unable to check htaccess file, ensure it is readable
>
> is there any ways to have .htaccess chmoded as 770?
> what user is "pcfg_openfile" running under?

There is no userid pcfg_openfile -- thats a standard error.  I would
suggest you change those files to be owned by the sam ID as your WWW
server; you can see who this is by using:

lsof -i tcp:80

chown them that id with root as group then chmod them to 0440  --
should make them secure enough.  if there is such as thing as secure
enough.
--
WC (Bill) Jones -- http://youve-reached-the.endoftheinternet.org/