httpd-users mailing list archives

From "Charles A. Landemaine" <landema...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] Is there a "real" maximum number of connections?
Date Fri, 28 Apr 2006 22:38:00 GMT
On 4/28/06, Kishore Jalleda <kjalleda@gmail.com> wrote:
> I don't think that you can support a million connections on apache, are you
> running this app on a mainframe, also check to see how much Memory each
> child/worker thread would take up, as you would need ( 1Million *
> (RAM/thread)) of Memory , so say if each connections takes up 1Meg or even
> 500KB you would potentially need 1 Million Megs of Memory ~= 1000GB ~= 1TB
> of Memory....

Thank you Kishore. The application will be hosted on a load-balanced
architecture. Also, the connections will be open, but most of the
time, no data will be transfered because chats are idle, and
basically, chat clients are waiting for new messages for minutes or
hours sometimes.
Kind regards,

--
Charles A. Landemaine.