httpd-users mailing list archives

From "Simon Werner" <simonwer...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] Problems with JS, IE 6.0 and mod_deflate
Date Fri, 14 Apr 2006 21:16:26 GMT
Thanks a lot for all the advice.  Unfortunately we are limited to
using only IE so we cannot implement other browsers.  The mod_filter
looks promising, I will try that.

Thanks,
Simon

On 4/14/06, Axel-St├ęphane  SMORGRAV
<Axel-Stephane.SMORGRAV@europe.adp.com> wrote:
> IE does not particularly like compressed CSS and JS and exhibits exactly the behaviour
you describe when you download a compressed CSS or a compressed JS which compressed size is
less than 5 KB (?? not sure about the number, but if memory serves me right it corresponds
to some Windows registry setting). Compressing plain text or HTML works well.

> In my view you have several choices:
>
> 1. If you really need to compress CSS and JS responses because most are big, but you
have a few that are below the limit, you can pad those that are known to cause the problem.

> 2. If most CSS and JS are small, you can choose not to compress this kind of contents.
>
> 3. You can use mod_filter to execute the DEFLATE output-filter, you can create conditions
on the types of contents you want to compress, and even on the size of each content. You can
for example choose to compress CSS and JS only if the size exceeds a certain value.

> mod_filter is an Apache 2.1/2.2 module but can relatively easily be compiled for Apache
2.0

> You state that you have the problem even though you do not compress JS. I do not however
know about any other issue with IE that would cause the problem you describe, and the problem
is definitely not in Apache. I have been using compression a little in 2.0.47, and heavily
in 2.0.49 and 2.0.54, and never seen the exact problem you describe caused by anything else
that IE/CSS/JS. Of course there may be other problems related to timing, scripts expecting
certain variables to exist that are defined in another java script that has not yet initialised
etc., but I doubt it is in your case.