httpd-users mailing list archives

From Axel-St├ęphane SMORGRAV <Axel-Stephane.SMORG...@europe.adp.com>
Subject RE: [users@httpd] Forward port 443 requests, but use mod_rewrite on port 80 requests
Date Thu, 20 Apr 2006 06:58:41 GMT
 Uhu.

The one thing that slipped past all of us is that you are using Apache as a forward proxy.
In that case the browser will not establish an SSL connection to the proxy, but will use the
CONNECT method as opposed to GET/PUT/POST/HEAD. It is the proxy that will establish an SSL
connection with the origin server.

So I guess that you only need to listen on port 80, and add a condition that excludes rewriting
of requests using the CONNECT method, to you rewrite rules:

RewriteCond %{REQUEST_METHOD} !=CONNECT
[other conditions and rule]

-ascs

-----Original Message-----
From: Browne, Anthony A [mailto:aabrowne@widernet.org]
Sent: Wednesday, April 19, 2006 11:14 PM
To: users@httpd.apache.org
Subject: RE: [users@httpd] Forward port 443 requests, but use mod_rewrite on port 80 requests

OK, I've been working on this all day and I have some more observations. The workstation browsers
(hereinafter 'browsers') have their LAN proxy settings configured to the Apache server's IP
and port 80.
	Now, the Apache server is only listening on 80. So, when the browsers want to CONNECT to
an https site, what does the request look like to Apache?
It appears even if I have a *:443 virtual host, it doesn't get touched. I even tried to Listen
on 443 as well, but it won't bind. A _default_:* doesn't get touched either. How do I a) listen
on one port and b) use different virtual hosts to proxy requests from the browsers?