httpd-users mailing list archives

From Axel-St├ęphane SMORGRAV <Axel-Stephane.SMORG...@europe.adp.com>
Subject RE: [users@httpd] Apache Starts Intermittently
Date Wed, 12 Apr 2006 14:49:01 GMT
There is no other reason I can see why Apache would "start intermittently". What you could
try in order to test this hypothesis, is to open a TCP connection to the server ("telnet localhost
80") and keep it open while you try stopping the server. I think you will see that the server
does not actually stop until the TCP connection has been closed. This is because Apache tries
to shut down without interrupting on-going requests.

In 1.3 stopping the server consists of sending SIGTERM to the parent process. The "apachectl
stop" command will return immediately, and a subsequent "apachectl start" will necessarily
fail if executed before the former server process has actually shut down and freed the sockets.

-ascs

-----Original Message-----
From: David Wolever [mailto:wolever.lists@gmail.com]
Sent: Wednesday, April 12, 2006 3:55 PM
To: users@httpd.apache.org
Subject: Re: [users@httpd] Apache Starts Intermittently

Although I can't re-create the problem now (even under a relatively heavy load), I checked
the logs and could not find any extraordinary problems.
Neither of the pages are high traffic (my home web server and my school's web server), so
I'm not sure if that is even the problem?
Thanks for the suggestion though.