httpd-users mailing list archives

From "Krist van Besien" <krist.vanbes...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] SHARED_CORE
Date Mon, 24 Apr 2006 19:12:43 GMT
On 4/24/06, William A. Rowe, Jr. <wrowe@rowe-clan.net> wrote:
> Krist van Besien wrote:
> >
> > It apears that compiling using the "SHARED_CORE" rule involves adding
> > the --enable-rule=SHARED_CORE to the configure command's options.
> >
> > What I would like to know is though,  what this does. Does this mean I
> > can provide the httpd daemon with an additional directory to load its
> > modules from?
>
> No, it means instead of httpd with all the entry points for apache support
> functions in the httpd binary, you get httpd and a libhttpd.so.  Not what
> you want...
>
> > (I would like to build an apache that is split over two dirs, one with
> > all the webserver config data and the content, another with the
> > binaries and supporting files.)
>
> copy bin/apachectl and conf/ to your website, and inject a -d /path/to/website
> option into apachectl so it looks at the new path's conf/ htdocs/ etc, and
> finally modify the httpd.conf to point at the full path of the httpd binary tree
> for modules, etc.

It is especially having to enter full paths for modules that I don't
really like. What I currently do is something similar to what you do
above, but with a link from /var/www/myserver/modules to
/opt/apache/httpd-2.0.55/modules so I can use /var/www/myserver as
serverroot.

It is a pity that one cannot give apache two base paths as argument,
ie a "serverroot" and a "webroot", a bit analog to "CATALINA_BASE" and
"CATALINA_HOME" for tomcat, which lets me do exactly what I want.

Krist

--
krist.vanbesien@gmail.com
Solothurn, Switzerland