httpd-users mailing list archives

From Alexander Lazic <al-httpdus...@none.at>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] Is there a "real" maximum number of connections?
Date Fri, 28 Apr 2006 23:03:24 GMT
Hi,

On Fre 28.04.2006 19:38, Charles A. Landemaine wrote:
>On 4/28/06, Kishore Jalleda <kjalleda@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>>I don't think that you can support a million connections on apache,
>>are you running this app on a mainframe, also check to see how much
>>Memory each child/worker thread would take up, as you would need (
>>1Million * (RAM/thread)) of Memory , so say if each connections takes
>>up 1Meg or even 500KB you would potentially need 1 Million Megs of
>>Memory ~= 1000GB ~= 1TB of Memory....
>
>Thank you Kishore. The application will be hosted on a load-balanced
>architecture. Also, the connections will be open, but most of the time,
>no data will be transfered because chats are idle, and basically, chat
>clients are waiting for new messages for minutes or hours sometimes.
>Kind regards,

As you write that you have a load-balanced architecture I think it would
be better to use more servers or more instances of Apache.

Then you can say to your load-balanced balance between
4/8/... servers|instances.

Have you develop for HTTP 1.0 or 1.1, what i mean is have you 1 Million
keep-alive connections or 7?

What is you backend, can the chat handle so many concurrent
connections/users?

regards

Alex