httpd-users mailing list archives

From "David Wolever" <wolever.li...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] Apache Starts Intermittently
Date Wed, 12 Apr 2006 13:54:58 GMT
Although I can't re-create the problem now (even under a relatively
heavy load), I checked the logs and could not find any extraordinary
problems.
Neither of the pages are high traffic (my home web server and my
school's web server), so I'm not sure if that is even the problem?
Thanks for the suggestion though.

On 4/12/06, Axel-St├ęphane  SMORGRAV
<Axel-Stephane.SMORGRAV@europe.adp.com> wrote:
> It may be because at the time the attempt at starting the server is made, the previous
process has not yet completely shut down. You should see a message in the error log saying
that Apache is unable to bind the address/port. This is frequent on busy servers.

> Take a look at your logs to verify this.
>
> In that case a workaround could be to modify the implementation of the restart option
of the script /etc/init.d/apache so that it does not do a start/stop but rather uses the "reload"
option of httpd.

> -ascs

up (and, obviously, I can't connect to port 80).
> If I do exactly the same thing to re-start it again, it usually works just fine.  The
only way I can tell the difference between a fake start and a real start is that a real start
takes a second or so longer.