httpd-users mailing list archives

From "ryan punt" <rp...@good-sam.com>
Subject [users@httpd] Re: [SPAM] Re: [users@httpd] Two versions of Apache
Date Mon, 13 Mar 2006 14:29:37 GMT
I don't have a Fedora install available right now, but I know that RedHat includes a util called
chkconfig. This program allows you to deactivate daemons while leaving the init-script in
place.

For example, if you wanted to leave the original version of apache installed, but didn't want
it to start on boot, you could run the following:

# chkconfig --del apache

This will remove an run-level-specific links to /etc/rc.d/init.d/apache, which will keep the
script from being executed on boot or halt. However, since the actual script is left in /etc/rc.d/init.d,
it can be reactivated later by running:

# chkconfig --add apache

If you installed apache2 from a Fedora repository, I'd be very surprised if the init-script
wasn't written to handle chkconfig, so the same rules should apply; if you run:

# chkconfig --add apache2

it should add the run-level-links for apache2 and apache2 should then start on boot. [replace
apache2 with the name if your actual init script]

I'm pretty sure that SuSE also includes chkconfig, and Debian has update-rc.d. They're great
tools, I'd definitely look into using them.

~rlp

>>> httpd2@karsites.net 3/13/2006 5:01 AM >>>

You might like to make a copy of your original boot script
that is used to start apache. Then you can edit that, as
already mentioned, and then uninstall the default apache
that comes with your distro.

(It is also a good idea save/backup any altered system
scripts like this in a safe place, so you can reinstall
them if you do an OS reinstall or upgrade later.)

If you are not using the default apache, and it is still
installed, you will find it is updated when you do a
security update, which is a waste of time.

The same applies to other services that you install
along side default installations, such as php or mysql.

An alternative way to start apache would be to add something
like this to your boot.local script, but you will not get
the nice information messages to say apache, mysql or
whatever has started up at boot time.

Don't forget to add entries to your halt.local script to
shut down the services that you start from boot.local.

contents of my boot.local script:

#! /bin/sh
#
# Copyright (c) 2002 SuSE Linux AG Nuernberg, Germany.  All rights reserved.
#
# Author: Werner Fink <werner@suse.de>, 1996
#         Burchard Steinbild <feedback@suse.de>, 1996
#
# /etc/init.d/boot.local
#
# script with local commands to be executed from init on system startup
#
# Here you should add things, that should happen directly after booting
# before we're going to the first run level.

# start the MySQL 5.0.18 server
/usr/local/mysql-5.0.18/bin/start-mysql-5.0.18

# start apache 2.2.0 web server
/usr/local/apache-2.2.0/bin/apachectl start

contents of halt.local:

#! /bin/sh
#
# Copyright (c) 2002 SuSE Linux AG Nuernberg, Germany.  All rights reserved.
#
# Author: Werner Fink <werner@suse.de>, 1998
#         Burchard Steinbild, 1998
#
# /etc/init.d/halt.local
#
# script with local commands to be executed from init on system shutdown
#
# Here you should add things, that should happen directly before shuting
# down.

# stop the apache 2.2.0 web server
/usr/local/apache-2.2.0/bin/apachectl stop

# stop the MySQL 5.0.18 database server
/usr/local/mysql-5.0.18/bin/stop-mysql-5.0.18

You also could post your original apache boot script to the
list, for us to tell you where it needs editing, if you
prefer to use that method.

HTH

Keith

In practice they are not.

On Mon, 13 Mar 2006, Roger wrote:

> To: users@httpd.apache.org, gfrank@neoservers.com
> From: Roger <roger@mirasol.co.za>
> Subject: [SPAM] Re: [users@httpd] Two versions of Apache
>
> Thanks again, but what do i edit in that httpd file
>
> On Mon, 2006-03-13 at 02:39 -0600, Graham Frank wrote:
>
> > Check for the file /etc/rc.d./init.d/httpd
> >
> > If it exists, then go ahead and edit it with any text editor and change the httpd
path.  That way, it will start your custom apache instead of the one which came with your
os.

> > -Graham

restart my machine, it starts up the default httpd service that comes with Fedora, meaning
i have two versions running and i have to shut down the default httpd then go to

> >  /usr/local/apache2/bin/apachectl start.
> >
> >  I find this very cumbersome to do, how can i remove the default httpd so that whenever
i start or run Linux, it uses the newer version!