httpd-users mailing list archives

From Shankar Unni <shankaru...@netscape.net>
Subject [users@httpd] Re: HTTP implementation by hand
Date Tue, 21 Mar 2006 23:13:35 GMT
Copies wrote:

> In my diploma thesis I have to add a HTTP(S) support to the application server.

You haven't said whether the implementation of HTTP(s) is somehow
supposed to be an actual learning/research exercise for you, or not. If
it is, you should obviously implement it from scratch. Otherwise, use
whatever's handy.

> I have two possibilities I'm aware of:
>
> 1] Implement HTTP myself. I need a very basic HTTP support. Just get
> POST request, check for Content-Length, pass body of the request to the
> server.

Actually, for simple setups, that may be all that is required. You may
have to handle a few subtleties (100 Continue's, chunked requests,
etc.), but they are not insuperable. But...

> 2] Use libwww. I assume it is much safer, than what I could implement
> with a reasonable time and effort. But huge library for a very specific
> application - it looks like an overkill.

I wouldn't say "huge". It's obviously not tiny or lightweight, but
nowadays few hundred KB here or there isn't such a big deal, especially
for a research project.

In your case, you should ask yourself whether you should spend your time
on your primary goal (your diploma thesis project - stuff that you are
actually researching or learning), or wasting large amounts of time
designing a custom HTTP(S) server that might squeeze a few more cycles
out of your application server..