httpd-users mailing list archives

From "Boyle Owen" <Owen.Bo...@swx.com>
Subject RE: [users@httpd] Basic Authentication not working in Gentoo Linux
Date Tue, 14 Mar 2006 10:30:47 GMT

If there's another AllowOverride at a higher level, it could still be reading .htaccess files.
Chcek the whole config and, to be sure, put "AllowOverride None" at server level to switch
off all .htaccess file-reading.

> I have also checked in the
> /var/www/localhost/cgi-bin/BackupPC for any .htaccess files.
> The folder doesn't have any .htaccess files.

Remember that files beginning with a dot don't show up unless you do "ls -a" - did you check
that?

> But still the authentication
> dialog doesn't appear and the browser directly displays the protected
> page.

You *are* restarting apache after each config change, aren't you?

Check also it's not a caching issue - kill and restart the browser before testing again.

BTW, you know you will only get prompted *once* for a password? Ie:

- first access: prompted for password
- enter PW: read page
- go to another page...
- come back: get straight in...

So don't expect a PW prompt *every* time you hit the page...

Rgds,
Owen Boyle

> regards
> Manilal