httpd-users mailing list archives

From "Boyle Owen" <Owen.Bo...@swx.com>
Subject RE: [users@httpd] SSL And Virtual Hosts
Date Mon, 13 Mar 2006 15:55:36 GMT

For most serious applications of SSL, not really...

Imagine you went to buy a book at Amazon and when you clicked on "checkout", you got a warning
saying, "we're having a problem with our server and so you might get a browser warning about
site name not matching certificate. Don't worry, just carry on and type in your credit card
number anyway..." - would you?

I guess if you have a limited application where the server holds the confidential data and
the clients are just browsing it and there's no conceivable risk of anyone impersonating the
server to serve up false data, then maybe it would be enough. But if the clients have anything
confidential to submit, you really need authentication as much as encryption - put it another
way, if you send your money off in an armoured car, you'd better make sure the driver really
goes to the bank.

Rgds,
Owen Boyle

> My searches aren't turning up any more creative solutions to this
> problem.  But if anyone has any I'd love to hear them.
>

> Regards,
> David P. Donahue
> ddonahue@ccs.neu.edu
> http://www.cyber0ne.com