httpd-users mailing list archives

From "Thomsen, Thomas" <Thomas.Thom...@firepond.com>
Subject RE: [users@httpd] Apache HTTP Server 2.0.55 Windows install
Date Thu, 02 Mar 2006 17:36:13 GMT
Thanks for the info Bill.  So I can use the mod_jk-apache-2.0.55.so from
http://www.apache.org/dist/tomcat/tomcat-connectors/jk/binaries/win32/jk
-1.2.15/ with the Apache install that I mentioned below?

The only mod_jk.dll I've found is mod_jk_1.2.6_2.0.50.dll located at:
http://www.apache.org/dist/tomcat/tomcat-connectors/jk/binaries/win32/jk
-1.2.6/.  I would have to use Apache HTTP Server 1.3.x to use this
however because it says that you need at least jk-1.2.10 or higher to
use the Apache HTTP Server 2.0.x version.

Thomas

-----Original Message-----
From: William A. Rowe, Jr. [mailto:wrowe@rowe-clan.net]
Sent: Thursday, March 02, 2006 10:51 AM
To: users@httpd.apache.org
Subject: Re: [users@httpd] Apache HTTP Server 2.0.55 Windows install

.dll, .so, .ocx, .cpl, .scr, .nls.  They are ALL dynamic libraries, the
filename is irrelevant.  It only helps you to distinguish one type of
module
from another.  So .so is a perfectly logical associate for apache
modules.
Apache can only load an 'apache module' - e.g. a module with an exported
FOO_module data structure in the correct format.  (You can LoadFile any
loadable module, but it won't necessarily do anything unless another
module
knows to bind to it.)

HTTP Server project adopted the same naming conventions as much as
possible
(even Apache 2.2's binary is named httpd.exe - we couldn't lose the .exe
of
course.)  This makes it much easier to follow the examples and
documentation.

The HTTP Server project has no say in how the authors in the Tomcat
project
(mod_jk.so), the PHP project (php4apache2.dll) and so on choose to name
their
modules.

Bill