httpd-users mailing list archives

From "FRAS Eddy RD-TECH-REN" <eddy.f...@francetelecom.com>
Subject [users@httpd] Reverse proxy with response update (once again)
Date Mon, 20 Mar 2006 13:44:47 GMT
I re-post this question, I'm sure someone will be able to tell me at least if it's feasible
or not.
I'd like to use httpd as a reverse proxy and modify the response sent by the remote server
with an XSL treatment (via a servlet for example).
Is mod-proxy or mod_rewrite able to do that ?

Thanks a lot,

Eddy

________________________________

	De : FRAS Eddy RD-TECH [mailto:eddy.fras@francetelecom.com]
	Envoyé : mardi 14 mars 2006 14:18
	À : users@httpd.apache.org
	Objet : [users@httpd] Reverse proxy with response update

	Hi all,

	I'm trying to have a special architecture I'm managing with my own java application for now.

	The current flow is :
	1. Send a request to a reverse proxy server (java servlet on tomcat), for example : http://myreverseproxy/GO_TO_www.anotherserver.com/a_page.xml
<http://myreverseproxy/GO_TO_www.anotherserver.com/a_page.xml>

	2. The servlet fetches content from the remote host, here www.anotherserver.com/a_page.xml
<file://www.anotherserver.com/a_page.xml>
	3. When the servlet receives the page, it applies an XSL on the page and send the result
to the client.

	The flow I would like to have is the same but with Apache having the role of the reverse
proxy server and remove the reverse proxy stuff from my java application.

	With mod_proxy and mod_rewrite, I was able to have the content fetch from a server I specify
in the URL but I really don't know if it's possible to pass the content fetched from a remote
host to my java app for XSL treatment.

	I had a look to mod_proxy_ajp but it seems to only allow redirecting the request to tomcat,
not the response.
	Is my idea unfeasible with Apache ?

	Eddy Fras
	France Télécom