httpd-users mailing list archives

From Sean Davis <sdav...@mail.nih.gov>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] how to make file download faster on apache web server
Date Wed, 08 Mar 2006 20:13:07 GMT

On 3/8/06 2:49 PM, "Venkat Reddy Valluri" <venkat.valluri@quinnfable.com>
wrote:

> Wick and  Sean
>    Thanks for responding immediatley.  Thats' what I didn't understand.  Is
> there anything to do with ISP location where our servers are located like max
> bandwidth or network router issues
>   Users from london and sweeden also getting the same issues

You can verify with your ISP about their expected bandwidth.  Given that you
had a 10-fold faster download from New Jersey than from California, though,
is probably not something that can be controlled by your ISP, unless there
was a significant difference in load at the two different times of the
download.  I don't think there is a lot you can do to affect download speeds
from any specific client in any specific location.

As a simple step, you are compressing the content before sending it?

Sean