httpd-users mailing list archives

From Axel-St├ęphane SMORGRAV <>
Subject RE: [users@httpd] Configuring Apache 2 with Tomcat 5.11
Date Thu, 09 Mar 2006 13:11:58 GMT
Nick, I really did not get this.

To me it is clear that using a front-end web server for serving static contents and proxying
other requests to a back-end application server, whether being Tomcat, Sun, BEA, IBM or other,
offloads the application server and improves overall performance of an (J2EE) application.

I have myself chosen a slightly different approach in order to avoid having to deploy the
static contents and the application separately: I have the application server serve the static
contents, but I make sure it is cached by a front-end.

So now: why is this propaganda, and to whom is it unfair? Did I miss something here? I really
would like to understand what you are trying to say...

-----Original Message-----
From: Nick Kew []
Sent: Thursday, March 09, 2006 9:57 AM
Subject: Re: [users@httpd] Configuring Apache 2 with Tomcat 5.11

On Thursday 09 March 2006 07:28, Boyle Owen wrote:

> The basic idea is that apache acts as the front-end and receives
> incoming requests from the web. Usually, you use apache to serve
> static stuff (images, downloads, plain HTML etc.) because it's fast.
> Requests for dynamic content are "passed" to Tomcat.

Um, that's a bit of propaganda that was never really fair, and is absolute nonsense since
2002 (Apache 2.0).  By all means use it that way, but please leave the "apache is for static
message to the FUDsters who have a vested interest in it.

See <URL:> for more info.
To unsubscribe, e-mail:
   "   from the digest:
For additional commands, e-mail: