httpd-users mailing list archives

From Frédéric Jolliton <ht...@frederic.jolliton.com>
Subject [users@httpd] Re: Are multiple <VirtualHost *:80 *:443> ok with wildcard cert ?
Date Thu, 16 Mar 2006 11:55:45 GMT
Hi Markus,

[..]
>> Again, there is no problems with this config, but I was just
>> wondering about its validity.
[..]

> Actually, having multiple HTTPS virtual hosts on the same IP address
> is not possible becasue of limitations in SSL itself.

Are you sure you read my message in details ? I presented a *working*
configuration (I'm running it on my server.)

It's possible to have several https virtual hosts on the same IP
address (on the same port), as long as the certificate's 'cn' field
match all the corresponding domain names. So you need a wildcard
certificate (and client supporting at least one '*' wildcard.) And to
be more precise, it works even without any valid 'cn' as long as the
client process https without taking care of the certificate (useless
and bad, but possible.)

I asked because I would like to know if it's fine to configure the
server as shown in my original message.

--
Frédéric Jolliton